It’s a big week! Big, big week! Monday saw the launch of my brand new KICKSTARTER campaign to fund the editing, proofreading, publication and marketing of my new novel, Death Becomes Me, as well as the next THREE shoots in the accompanying Fine Art Photography series, featuring international Gothic modeling sensation MARIA AMANDA SCHAUB (below).
A lot of you have been asking me when the sequal to Chasing Azrael was coming out and, here’s your answer: October 31st 2016!
BUT THIS WILL ONLY HAPPEN IF MY KICKSTARTER IS
FULLY FUNDED BY JUNE 5TH!
So, if you want to read the new novel, please show your support and pledge to the Kickstarter campaign now!
I posted the video for the campaign just over 24 hours ago and IT HAS ALREADY GONE VIRAL WITH OVER 18,000 VIEWS!
Some questions you may have:
What is Kickstarter?
Kickstarter is a super-awesome crowd-funding website that allows creative like me to raising funding for projects they would not otherwise be able to do. I’ve supported several campaigns on Kickstarter in the past, most book-related. including Kirsty Mitchell’s Wonderland Photography book, and several other projects by Indie Authors and publishers. It works like this:
- The creator of a project sets up a campaign and sets a specific amount of money as their goal. In my case, the project is the publication of Death Becomes Me in paperback and eBook, and the completion of three fine art fantasy photography shoots with Maria Amanda Schaub. The goal for the campaign is £18,000.
- Supporters pledge money to the campaign in exchange for REALLY COOL STUFF. In my case, you can pledge money to ensure the book gets published, in exchange for a copy of the book – how cool is that?
- If the campaign is FULLY FUNDED money is collected from everyone who pledged, the creator completes their project and delivers the rewards promised to the backers by a date specified in the campaign. In my case, I’m promising to deliver all rewards in time for Christmas 2016, with eBooks going out on 31st October, and the remaining rewards being packaged and posted in November.
- If the campaign ISN’T FULLY FUNDED no money is taken from anyone and the creator must find another way to fund their project.
Why are you doing this campaign?
I’ve been self-publishing books since 2013 and until now have funded every penny for every book from my own pocket. It has been an honour and a privilege to do this, and to help many authors and artists who were not otherwise published see their work in print. I’ve also put out a lot of my own work, and I’m damn proud of all of it.
Unfortunately publishing is an expensive business. Editing and proofreading a full length fantasy novel is expensive in itself. Publishing costs, advertising and marketing are further expenses. Until now I have had no marketing budget at all, and all sales have come from networking, blogging, and writing. In order to take the sales of the existing books up a level, and give Death Becomes Me a chance at making decent sales, I need a budget for marketing and advertising. In addition to these costs I am completing a photography series to accompany the Death Insanity novels, and while I’m doing these on a shoe string budget and making all the props and sets myself, they still involve certain costs. I am not in a position to fund this, or any future projects, completely out of my own pocket so I am turning to you, the readers, and asking that you buy your copies of the book in advance, with a small additional donation, in order to ensure the book is published.
Once I have secured an advertising budget, future funding should be less of an issue as sales will start to cover costs for subsequent books and photo shoots like this one:
What is your campaign goal?
The goal for the campaign is £18,000.
This feels like a huge amount to me, and certainly sounds like an awful lot when I say it out loud, but bear in mind that the majority of that will not actually come to me. The Kickstarter needs to raise enough money to fund the project. ON TOP OF THAT it needs to raise enough money to cover the cost of all the rewards for those who pledge, AND the fees charged by Kickstarter (which are fairly hefty). Well over half of that £18,000 is to pay for the fees, rewards, and the packaging and postage costs of sending them all over the world to my lovely supporters! If you want to see the exact breakdown of the costs check out the chart on the campaign page!
What do I have to do?
You don’t HAVE to do anything, however I would be eternally grateful if you would show your support of me, my writing, and my efforts at raising awareness of mental health issues through fiction and photography, by supporting the campaign. You can do this in any one of three ways:
- Share And Shout! Post links to the campaign on you Facebook profile, pages, and in any groups you may be a member of and encourage people to check it out and support it. You will find share buttons on the campaign page for Facebook and Twitter, the more days you come back to the page and hit these buttons the better! Share it anywhere and everywhere you can and SHOUT ABOUT IT! Let people know it’s an awesome, super-cool project!
- Choose A Reward And Pledge To The Campaign – There are loads of rewards up for grabs, including eBook, Paperback, and KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE SIGNED HARDBACK editions of both Chasing Azrael and Death Becomes Me. Also available are keychains, bookmarks, high quality FINE ART GICLEE prints of the cover art for Chasing Azrael and Death Becomes Me, as well as two mega bundles including even more goodies and a chance to be written into one of the next two books as a character! Just pick your reward, and pledge to pay the stated amount IF AND WHEN THE CAMPAIGN IS FULLY FUNDED – you won’t be charged a penny until the campaign ends, and even then you will ONLY be charged for your pledge if the campaign reaches its goal.
- Pledge £1 Or An Amount Of Your Choosing In Exchange For A Tweeted Thank You! – Pledge to the campaign in exchange for a heart-felt thanks, Tweeted by me personally. This option doesn’t come with a reward, you would be pledging out of the goodness of your heart. It is however a great way to show your support if you don’t want anything on offer, or are unable to afford any of the rewards. Choose to donate a single £1, or any amount of your choosing!
When will the campaign end?
The campaign will run for 28 days, until the 5th June 2016. This means we need to raise a full £18,000 by then! At the time of writing this, the campaign was already 2% of the way to reaching that goal, so come on guys, lets make it happen!
What else do I need to know?
If you want more novels from me THIS IS THE WAY TO GET THEM! If this is funded I will be happily writing for many years to come and the people who back this campaign will get first dibs on all of it! If you want more stunning images like those produced for Chasing Azrael, if you want to see what happens when I team up with Maria Amanda and really unleash my creative side on these photo shoots then GET PLEDGING!
One final thing!
PLEASE DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE CAMPAIGN TO PLEDGE!
THE SOONEST YOUR PLEDGE MONEY WILL BE TAKEN IS THE 5TH JUNE, AND THEN ONLY IF THE CAMPAIGN IS FULLY FUNDED.
IF YOU WANT TO GET INVOLVED PLEASE DO SO RIGHT NOW!
THE MORE PEOPLE WHO PLEDGE, THE MORE MOMENTUM THE CAMPAIGN WILL GATHER, AND THE MORE BACKERS IT WILL GAIN.